Browse Items (85 total)

Emerson.Charles.Wesley.jpg
Our college founder, Charles Wesley Emerson, was a minister at the Unitarian Church in Chelsea, MA. He enrolled in Boston University's School of Oratory in 1877, studying Delsarte and Swedenborg under the direction of Professor Lewis B. Monroe. In…

ECHO_Speech_1950.jpg
This image shows Samuel D. Robbins teaching the Speech Pathology program that he launched at Emerson College of Oratory in 1935. Emerson's president Samuel Justus McKinley wrote, "I have been assured that our program of courses in Speech Therapy is…

ECHO_CarriageHouse_1936.jpg
The school's very first theater, dubbed the Emerson College Theater, opened in 1936 in a repurposed carriage house behind the 128-130 Beacon Street buildings. Pictured: Interior of the timber-framed space. View of the main house from the stage.…

130_Beacon_Students.jpg
Originally built as private residences, 130 Beacon was part of a group of Back Bay buildings held by Emerson College. The college purchased 130 Beacon in 1933 to house administrative offices and classrooms. It became the flagship building of Emeron's…

ECHO_Robbins_1953.jpg
Emerson purchased 145 Beacon Street in 1950. Three years later, the Robbins Speech and Hearing Clinic opened its doors at this address, where it remained for about a decade until the clinic was moved to 168 Beacon. Emerson continued to use the…

841235.jpg
Producer's behind the scenes of WERS TV. View from inside control room. WERS-TV presented the first program of closed circuit television in 1955. Photo imprint: "Arber-French & Co., Boston, Mass."; Motorola equipment pictured.

100-Beacon-View_84546_Clean.jpg
View of the Public Garden and the eastern end of Beacon Street through an upper floor window within the residence hall at 100 Beacon Street. In 1960, Emerson College sold 373 Commonwealth Ave. and acquired 100 Beacon. Emerson remodeled the c1924…

ECHO_150Beacon_1961.jpg
In 1961, Emerson College purchased 150 Beacon Street. The building included dormitory space, a dining hall, and administrative offices. Pictured: Exterior of the building circa 1963

96_Beacon.jpg
Built in 1849, the building at 96 Beacon Street served as Emerson's student union from 1964 until 2006 and was used for small gatherings, rehearsals and other events. Pictured: A B&W photo of building's front fascade with students on the front…

ECHO_EVVY_1983.jpg
The very first EVVY awards were held in 1982. (The 2nd EVVYs ceremony, from 1983, is pictured). The EVVYs were created to recognize student achievement in television and video. Decades later, this annual awards program has evolved into the largest…
Output Formats

atom, dcmes-xml, json, omeka-json, omeka-xml, rss2